Everyone else has used this image, so why not?
It is widely speculated that patch 4.0.X will begin tomorrow.* That gives us about 12-14 hours to enjoy the vanilla world as we know it. The Cataclysm probably begins tomorrow.
With the end coming, why not spend a few hours seeing some of the old content, and wrapping up a few gold-making loose ends in the old world? No reason not to! So here’s a short list of a few things that you can do, at 80, in the next few hours, to make a little gold and have a little fun in the old world:
(1) Go into Zul’Gurub: This has been well covered already. It’s not clear if ZG is gone with Cataclysm or with 4.0.X. I imagine that it will come with Cataclysm, so you still have a few more weeks of trying to get the tiger mount and failing. With that said, it’s a gorgeous instance, you should see it while it’s still there, and there’s lots of money to be made there.
(2) Go Kill a Dragon: There is, arguably, nothing more emblematic of the Vanilla experience than the four world-boss Dragons: Whatshisname’gos, Whose-e-whats’gos, Forgotthename’gos, Thatotherone’gos, and the venerable Azuregos.
All kidding about names aside, these guys are on a long cooldown, and one of them is in the world at a time. Ie: every X amount of time, one of them spawns, much like every other world boss in the game. Back when purples were Holy-Jeebus-Purples!, and Hunters had to walk to school and back uphill both ways, some of the truly elite aspects of WoW went through these dragons. While those days are long gone, the dragons remain.
Another thing that remains? A few low drop-rate items on the loot tables of the dragons. The one that jumps out at me is Schematic: Lifelike Mechanical Toad. However, there are a few other goodies on there too. That schematic is worth a few thousand gold on any server, and regularly runs around 5,000 g on my server. There are a bunch of other valuable things as well.
These bosses have a very interesting bunch of lore behind them, and they’re almost certainly gone in Cataclysm. Also, don’t try to solo them- they have mechanics that require at least 3 well-geared players. (Unless you’re a hunter with way too much time on your hands.) But go try to kill them, have fun, see the fight, and maybe get lucky and make some gold.
Side note: A while ago, this was going to be my submission to Markco’s Blog Carnival, re: Turning 1,000g into 2,000g. I figured that everyone would cover the obvious things (ie: Cold recommending the Saronite Shuffle), so I was trying to think of something outside the box, and fun. So this was my idea- find a few 80s, pay them 25g to head out and kill the thing with you, and offer a 100g bonus each if the Toad Schematic drops. By my math, that costs (with 4 other people) 100g total, 500g if you get the drop worth 5,000g, and at worst leaves you 900g to play around with and use the rest of the strategies on. That was my wonky, “Turn 100g into 2,000g-5,000g” idea for Markco. However, we had site issues and I couldn’t write it up in time. So here it is, in all it’s glory- better late than never, I guess?
(3) Go Get a Chimerachop: Getting the book involves a long, involved quest chain. You have to go into BWL, among other things. However, the island that is part of this chain is going away, so go do this quest. This recipe is going, going, gone. Seriously. Right now this thing sells for 10k gold. Get some friends and go do it. Tonight.
(4) Go farm crimson whelplings: These guys are a great money-maker Just kidding! Did you, Dear Reader, seriously think I’d recommend this? Shame!
(4a) Duck into Dire Maul: While you’re out, killing dragons (#2) and getting chops (#3), duck into the Dire Maul Arena. This is the area outside of the actual instance, by the front entrance to Dire Maul. One of the two rare-spawn mobs may have spawned in there. If one has, kill him and loot for a chance at an Orb of Deception. It has a low drop rate, but you’re out there anyway, so you might as well take a look. It’s a shot at a quick 1,000g.
(5) Get Your Glyphs in Order: Spend an hour buying, selling, and taking are of your glyphs. At this point, it’s probably too late to sell anything on the AH that will become a Charred Glyph. But it’s a good idea to get a few stacks of glyphs ready if you’re in that market. As we’ve covered on Call to Auction, the QA3 addon is going away, and it will behoove you to be ahead of the general market re: glyphs. (At the very least, buy one of every relevant glyph for yourself now. The market will be all over the place for the next few days.)
In closing, most of this stuff will take a significant amount of /AFK flying time. Also, putting together a dragon or chimerachop group can be a hassle. But it’s a bunch of old content that’s going away, so enjoy it while you can.
*Speculation is so rampant that you can go to almost any major blog- MMOChampion, WoWInsider, etc.- and see some reference to 4.0.X coming this Tuesday. Normally I try to be factual when making declarative statements, but in this case, I don’t think a link/cite is necessary… because speculation really is that rampant! (I know that’s a tautology, but that’s the state of WoW blogs in this area, at least today.)